July 1, 2015: Last Day at Dad’s

Boy July really sneaked up on us this year.  I can’t believe that it is already well into summer.  Today is my last day at dad’s for, well, the year I guess.  Early tomorrow morning I am going to catch the 5:40am Empire Service 280 out of Rochester to head east to Utica.  Only going to be there for a day before we go down to Waverly for the annual Fourth of July party.  This year we are staying overnight and Dominica and the family will be there all weekend.  The plan is that Liesl and I are going to leave Saturday afternoon from Waverly and drive to Lexington, Kentucky where we are spending the night.  Then on Sunday driving from Kentucky to, we hope, Houston.  Dominica, Francesca and the rest of the kids are leaving from Frankfort on Monday and getting to Houston on Tuesday.  Then early Wednesday morning I am flying from Houston to San Francisco and will be there for nine days before returning to Houston on that following Friday morning.  No rest for me!

I got up at ten this morning, that gave me about four hours of sleep.  That’s two really rough nights in a row so I am feeling pretty tired and run down.  This week and just been intense.  And I know that I am not going to be getting very much sleep tonight either.

This morning I booked my Amtrak ticket for tomorrow.  I am scheduled for the 5:46 Empire Service out of Rochester.  That is way too early but it is the only way that the family has a shot of picking me up and still managing to leave to go to the Enchanted Forest Water Safari if the weather and everything work out for it.  The girls have been begging to go for months, easily six months, and have been looking forward to it like crazy so it would be horrible if they were here for so long and never managed to go.  The park only opened up last week so there were not chances before this.  The weather has been cold and rainy for weeks so it has not been good for it anyway.

Had to work today, of course, and things are still super busy at the office.  This has been going on for weeks.  So I was working from about eleven in the morning (which is pretty early San Francisco time) until evening.  In the evening I let the office know that this was my last chance to spend time with dad, then he and I drove up to Avon to go to Tom Wahl’s for dinner.  We were thinking about the fish fry but I ended up being unable to resist their veggie burger and fries which are just so good.

It was cool out and raining a little but we decided to sit outside under the covered picnic pavilion that they have out back.  We were there until about nine thirty and then got soft service ice cream that we ate there before I drove us back to the house in the Volvo.

I got to bed as early as I was able to get myself to fall asleep.  Have to be up quite early tomorrow.  Art is coming to pick me up at four thirty.  I am going to be exhausted.