February 6, 2003

I stayed up late last night working on upgrading my SuSE 8.0 computer to 8.1. This, however, could not be completed because 8.1 wouldn’t recognize the old system:( I am hopeful, however, that I will soon be able to load 8.1 onto my screaming fast Promise RAID array because since the last time that I installed Linux, Promise has made the drivers available. So I no longer have to keep Windows on the good drives. I wanted to upgrade to Windows XP Pro anyway and changing partitions would seem to be the perfect time to do that. So I can update the entire machine all at once. It will be like getting a totally new computer. I have been wanting to get more memory as well since I do run out occassionally (512MB just isn’t enough these days.) I am excited to be upgrading the machine but it does mean a lot of work has to be done and I have to wait until I can afford to pick up Windows XP. But at least I have something to look forward to. SuSE 8.1 is supposed to be blazing fast compared to 8.0 and with the faster drives it should really kick some major butt. I can’t wait to try it out.

Emily is coming into town on Friday (tomorrow) and is going to be stopping by to visit. I haven’t seen Emily more than two or three times since she has moved back to New York (I think I saw her AND Craig more when they were living in Colorado!)

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. Emily is visiting in the morning. I am spending the afternoon meeting with Steve Lucente, the owner of Lifestyle Propeties, as we discuss homes and offices and stuff for the coming year. Then, after all that, Min and I are driving to DC. It makes for a long day.

Today was another day of working on the web server. I am getting there, really I am. I got a lot done last night and it is going well. I am feeling really good about it. Eric is working on setting up his own test environment for producing PHP pages but he is having less luck than me. I really wish that I had a couple of more days before I had to go to DC so that I could have this machine ready for the trip. I want to get it down three and installed and ready to go. The sooner it is out of this house and in place the sooner it can start doing me some good. Right now, it is in the way! I need more space (lol.)

Dominica did read the update yesterday and caught my joke:) I decided that I was tired of everyone always saying that they don’t look at my calendar or don’t know how to get to it so I decided that I would add a Calendar button to the navigation bar on the right so that everyone can just click there and instantly see what my calendar holds for me. It is mostly accurate. Far from perfect. But it helps give the general impression of where I will be when.

Min hit the hay early (like 9:00!!) but I stayed up late working on that new server. I think it might be ready to go when we head down to DC tomorrow but I don’t like to count my chickens, I have attempted putting it down there before when it wasn’t ready and it just ends up making for extra work. We will see, it all depends on how tomorrow goes. At this point, all of the features that I need are implemented. What I am working on now is locking it down for protection (our DC facility is hit by crackers (mostly script kiddies, thank goodness) hundreds or even thousands of times a day. So security is a must. Loopy has to go to bed early tonight because he actually has a 9:00 am meeting. But he might as well start getting up earlier since we have to be up at 3:00 am on Monday morning and between 6:00 and 7:00 am the rest of the week. Might as well be ready for it. I am going to be going to bed really early on Sunday so nobody call me Sunday night!

Leave a comment