November 20, 2008: One More Day

1 Days to Baby Day! (39 Weeks and Six Days Pregnant)

“Sleep with the window open.” – Rule #285, 1001 Rules for My Unborn Son

One day to go.  It has felt like this day would not come for a very long time.  I decided that I really just needed to work from home tomorrow.  Everyone is expecting me to be home tomorrow anyway so it is no big deal.  I was just hoping to get in as much time in the office as possible before being home for a long stretch.  I really need a break from commuting and swimming though.  I am just worn out.

I slept in a bit this morning.  I really needed that.  I was awake around six thirty, but Oreo was just so snuggly.  I couldn’t bring myself to get out of bed for another hour.  He really misses me.  He got up immediately and came down to the basement and lay beside me while I worked.

At eight this morning the snow started.  Before it had started snowing I had been looking outside and thinking how “wintery” it looked.  This is our first snow in our new home.

I got Laborers for the Harvest set up today with a major WordPress code update, new theme and new plugins.  This is the first major site overhaul that we have done over there since the site first went live.

At noon, dad took Dominica down to the clinic downtown so that she could go to the final widwife appointment.  I can’t believe that we are down to the last one already.  One day short of nine months doesn’t seem very long.

Babies ‘R’ Us called while Dominica was out to let us know that our new furniture had arrived there.  The crib for the nursery and the glider-style rocking chair for our bedroom arrived.  Now we just have to figure out how to get it to the house.  It is some large stuff.

The word from the midwife is that everything looks to be fine but Dominica does not have any signs of approaching labor.  So the important thing, that the baby is healthy, is okay, but Dominica is very stressed and hoping to be able to deliver very soon.  She has an appointment to see the doctors on Monday for an ultrasound and something like a stress test in case she hasn’t gone into labor by then.

I was stuck in the basement pretty much all day working.  I’ve been working on a really tough issue with a VMWare Server instance that is producing some incredible drive activity that I am attempting to troubleshoot.  This is a particularly perplexing problem and is affecting a lot of stuff so I am desperate to get it fixed.  I will post a technical article about it once I get it figured out.

For dinner Dad and I drove out to the New City Diner in Yorktown Heights and got take out and brought food back for Dominica.  We watched a few episodes of the Mary Tyler Moore show and then Dominica went to bed around ten.  Dad put on Bones and I headed down to the basement to continue working.

I will be home tomorrow.  We are so close to the baby’s arrival that I should not be going into the office at this point.  Especially since I am able to get so much more work done when I don’t go into the office.  It is so hard to get a lot of work done when you commute for four hours.

Join the Conversation


  1. “It is so hard to get a lot of work done when you commute for four hours.”

    You know, some of us with similar commutes don’t have the option to work at home as often as you. (or even at all) 😛 It becomes a way of life and the length of the commute becomes rather moot after awhile.

  2. Yes but many people with 4 hour commutes don’t work 10+ hours per day plus weekends and go to grad school at the same time. 😛

Leave a comment