October 6, 2005

What a day today turned out to be. It really started yesterday after I posted and left the hotel. I got up early yesterday and drove over to John’s around 8:30. He ended up having one disaster after another and we didn’t manage to leave to go to breakfast until 10:30. We had a quick breakfast at the Double T Diner and then drove up to the airport to pick up someone for work. John doesn’t have his Chrysler anymore – only his two seaters the Camaro and the Corvette. So we took his H1 Hummer. He hasn’t been driving it very much and wasn’t sure how it was going to work. We got to the airport just fine. We left BWI around noon to head into DC to work for the day. I didn’t really have to work but I was along for the ride. Unfortunately the Hummer broke down long before we got into DC and we had to drop it off at the Hummer dealer and wait for Curtis to drive up to pick us up in his car.

So by this point the day was already heading for disaster. We did manage to get some work done before we had to rush back to Annapolis so that I could get ready to go to work. We got to Annapolis at 5:00 – cutting it a little bit close. I had to be in Manalapan, New Jersey by 8:30. I got everything together and was out the door by 5:15.

Before I even crossed the Bay Bridge to get over to the Eastern Shore I got called from work. They were having problems in New Jersey and weren’t sure if I needed to go out or not. So I stopped by the McDonalds near the bridge and hung out for a while waiting for the go ahead. But my phone started running out of juice so I decided that it would be better if I was at least well on my way rather than sitting around in Maryland. So I headed out up MD 301 up the Eastern Shore and across Delaware and into New Jersey. I managed to get in by 9:00 but a couple of other guys had to go in and work ahead of me. I ended up not being able to start work until 1:00 am. I had been hoping that I could have been on the road back towards New York before midnight. So this was putting a major crimp in my style. I wrapped up just a little before 4:00 am and hit the road as quickly as possible. Boy was I itchin’ to get out of there! I didn’t manage to find a hotel anyplace convenient short of Ithaca so I decided to drive straight through. Luckily I was able to make it out of New Jersey before rush hour hit or I would have been really, really sorry.

It was a really long drive and I was totally exhausted the whole way. Around 7:00 I called Eric and had him talk to me to keep me awake for the last hour of the trip. They just found out that Amanda’s mom had a mild heart attack yesterday. They don’t know any details yet.

I rolled into Ithaca at 9:00 in the morning having been up and running for twenty six hours. I had called ahead to the Comfort Inn on South Elmira Street and knew that they had available rooms. Good thing that I did. I checked in and got a room for the day. I got to sleep around 9:30 or so. I was pretty delirious and I don’t remember much else at that point.

I was up at 2:00 and out of the hotel by 2:30. Nothing like four hours of sleep to make everything better. Actually, I was still totally exhausted.

I drove right up to Trumansburg and spent the afternoon up there with the Lucentes. I had been scheduled to be there much closer to noon but that wasn’t about to happen at all. I didn’t manage to get over to Varna to do some work over there which is the main reason that I was in Ithaca today.

Steve’s friend Brian had a heart attack this morning. It is going to be one of those days as well.

I left Ithaca and headed back to Geneseo. I was going to be back in time to meet Min as she got out of work but there was an accident out on 96 just south of Geneva and the road was closed for a large distance. So that caused me to be a lot later than I had intended to be. So Min got out of work and drove over to dad’s house and picked up Oreo so that we could get him home as early as possible. I beat them back to the house but they weren’t far behind.

Leave a comment