March 25, 2006: The In-Between Day

Today definitely feels like an odd “in-between” day. There is nothing in particular to do today but there is a ton of stuff that needs to be taken care of. I made sure to have nothing scheduled for either today or tomorrow. That would just be too dangerous. I really need today so that I can get caught up mentally a little bit.

Dominica had to work extra early today. There was some schedule change at work. So she was up super early and I could barely remember her even getting up. On her way to work she went to Tim Horton’s to get some donuts for the crew at the office. While she was there she noticed that her driver’s side headlamp was out again. It has only been a few days since we had it fixed. So she got her donuts and ran over to the shop that we use right around the corner to see if they were open and if they could take a look at it since she had been stopped by the police for it once all ready. She was lucky enough that they were open and were able to squeeze her right in. Actually the town clerk was there in front of her getting an oil change but she understand that Dominica was on her way to work so she let them work on Min’s car first. They ended up replacing the headlamp because they just weren’t able to make the connection actually stay connected on the old one. So it only took fifteen or twenty minutes and Min was barely late for work.

Andy called early this morning and got me out of bed. I was awake before he called but I hadn’t gotten up yet. I only get so much time with Oreo so I take advantage of the snuggles when I can. Oreo was super snuggle boy all night long. He has been missing me the last few weeks and he likes to be really close whenever he can. So he slept most of the night on my arm. Andy had a little emergency this morning. He was feeling pretty sick and almost passed out. He was feeling so sick that he decided that he needed an ambulance since he lives alone and if he passed out there would be no one to check on him. Especially since we just got back from a business trip I wasn’t very likely to call him for maybe a week (since I am going to be pretty caught up in my own stuff) and everyone else would be expecting him to be tired and would leave him alone. Miranda would be the only person to notice him not answering the phone and she wouldn’t have any easy means to check on him. So the ambulance came to his house but by the time that they got there he was feeling enough better that he didn’t think that it would be a good idea to go with them (things start getting pretty pricey once you start using the Rural/Metro limo service.) That is when he called his parents and me to let us know what was going on to make sure that there was someone to check on him. By this point he wasn’t too worried, especially once he remembered how badly my stomach had been last night, and figured that we had both gotten something from that ice cream that we had eaten. We weren’t thinking that it was food poisoning or anything so serious – most likely just bad ice cream or cookies.

So we decided that it would be smart if I went up to Brighton and picked him up so that he wouldn’t have to be alone and have to keep everyone worrying in case something happened. So around 9:00 I went up to his apartment with Oreo and we picked him up and brought him down to Geneseo. He was still feeling sick but not all that bad. He ended up sleeping for a while on the couch in the living room. He hadn’t gotten a lot of sleep last night and was pretty tired.

Around 1:30 Andy and I drove up and picked Dominica up from work and went out for lunch. Andy wasn’t feeling great but he was improving and thought that he would be okay being home after getting some lunch. He hadn’t eaten all day and was getting a little bit peevish. I was kind of hungry too and Dominica really appreciated the company. We went to the Olympia Diner on Lyle Avenue across from the Wegmans. The food was good, but it just wasn’t the Omega. 😉 We didn’t have a lot of time because we were just on Dominica’s lunch break. She just gets an hour although that is a little flexible. But she did come in a little late this morning so best not to push it. This is actually the first chance that Dominica and I got to talk to each other in person since Tuesday! We tend to cross paths when one or the other of us is sleeping so it seems like we see each other far more often than we really do.

We took Dominica back to work then I drove Andy back to his apartment. On the way home I swung into Borders really quickly and grabbed the latest issue of Linux Magazine and I got a book on the Linux Professional Institutes LPIC certification exam since my Red Hat certification books have not arrived yet and I want to be doing nothing but Linux reading while I am in New Jersey. This is a prime opportunity for me to really focus on this stuff and I don’t want to spend my time doing anything outside of the job that I am there to do. So Linux certifications it is. That will be my focus for at least the next six months.

I got home and managed to relax for a little while but not too long. Dad came over at 7:00 to pick me up and we went over to the Omega for dinner. We had been planning on doing it earlier but lunch was awfully late. We have been trying to do lunch or dinner when possible since my schedule is going to be so crazy that who knows when I will be able to do anything again. Probably I will be able to do lunch next Saturday but who knows at this point.

Dominica got home at 8:30 and we decided that we needed to take the night off and relax so we went down to the basement and watched several episodes of the second season of Remington Steele. The second season is even better than the first one. We are really enjoying that show and we get a ton of mileage out of it too. It has to be one of the best values that we have gotten from any DVD purchase in a long time. And we are timing it perfectly to be ready for the third season when it releases.

That pretty much sums up the day. Nothing really happened and that was just the way that it needed to be. I really couldn’t handle thinking about anything today. Tomorrow is packing day. I have to have my laptop, magazines, books, hotel, clothes, etc. all ready to go so that we aren’t worrying about that on Monday morning. Monday at 1:00 both Dominica and I are taking our certification exams. This is her first one and she is really nervous about it. So we have to do some studying tomorrow as well. There is just no end to all that needs to be done.

Leave a comment