April 3, 2006: Back to Work

Boy was I tired when I got into New Jersey last night. I was totally exhausted. Even so I only slept about four hours. I don’t think that the wake up call at the hotel has actually woken me up once since I started working down here. I am consistently awake on my own at least half an hour before I have to be up. But that is better than waking up to the alarm. I hate waking up to alarms.

I was up at 5:30 this morning, got ready for work and wrapped up yesterday’s post to SGL. I left the hotel at 7:30 and went to work. I decided that I probably didn’t have to be there before 9:00 but I don’t want to get into the habit of coming in that late so I am trying to always be there by 8:00 even though almost everyone else straggles in quite a bit later than that.

I got to work and discovered that there was just about nobody there this morning. I was quite surprised when this continued for the rest of the day. In fact, I sat alone in my cubicle without any cubicle neighbours even showing up for the entire day. Once, during the entire day, one guy from my team came by to tell me that the mail room called and needed to know my cube number. And late in the day the UPS guy stopped by to drop off an envelope. But that was it. That was my day. My whole day! It was nice having the peace and quiet but it can be maddening when you have to just sit there in the silence all day long. There were other people in the office but they were few and far between.

I did lunch alone. There was almost nothing vegetarian in the cafeteria today so I got pizza. Yes, I finally don’t get pizza in the hotel and I end up getting it at work. And I had pizza last night too. I need to cut back on the pizza. The pizza at work is wood fired and really awesome. I also had some wild shitake mushroom bisque and a cookie. We have a pretty rockin’ cafeteria.

Right at the end of the day my boss’ boss came by to say hi and acknowledge that I really exist and to explain why the place was a ghosttown. Then I figured it was probably time to go home as there was no chance of me being productive at that point whatsoever.

On the way back to my hotel room I decided to stop at Taco Bell and pick up some dinner to eat in the hotel. It is a lonely life, let me tell you. I ate my seven layer burritos and watched the end of Home Improvement.

I spent the evening working on a couple of projects in the hotel. I have been putting in a ton of work trying to get an Asterisk server working and it is driving me nuts. I finally gave up on it this evening and had Dominica run an in depth memory test on it to see if that might be the problem.

I was hungry and so Min told me to go down and try the vending machine. I tried it but it was broken. So I walked across the street to the drug store. But they closed just before I got there. So I went on to Dunkin Donuts and got some donuts.

Overall I would say that today ranks as: uneventful.

Leave a comment