October 19, 2006: Spamalot

Today was a rainy day. Rainy and quiet. I got to work from home today which Oreo really needed. He was totally exhausted after four days of daycare with two birthday parties. He is a dog that has no idea when to say no. He just plays until he can’t take it anymore and then he keeps on playing.

But on his weekly “daddy/doggie day” he just sleeps and sleeps all day. He slept so much, in fact, that he didn’t even ask to go out for his walk until almost six this evening! That means that he went an entire twenty four hour period without going outside.

I took him for his walk in the park just before Dominica got home. She arrived home and we immediately set out to hop the train into Manhattan. That turned out to be just as easy as we had thought that it was going to. It is a short walk to the train station. We bought our tickets there – just twelve dollars for the two of us round trip to and from the city so that is only three dollars each way. That is very reasonable. The train ride takes about eighteen minutes and then we were in Penn Station in Manhattan. Now that is handy.

From Penn Station you could walk up to Times Square but it is a little far. By the Red Line on the Subway it is just a single stop. It doesn’t get much easier than that. We walked the final two blocks from the station to the Schubert Theater where Spamalot was showing. The timing was just about perfect. We were to the theatre plenty of time in advance of the show but not so much that we really had to kill time.

Spamalot ended up being quite a bit of a let down. We had had high hopes for the show and it was okay but it sure wasn’t anything special. For fans of the original movie (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) there are some funny bits but almost all of them are just gimmicks from the movie rehashed. Cute but it looses its charm very quickly. For anyone who hadn’t seen the movie I am not sure that the show would even be funny at all. The first half wasn’t bad but by the second act we were both pretty bored and just waiting for the show to wrap up. We were very disappointed.

We went to Cold Stone Creamery and got ice cream before heading for home. The trip back was quick and painless. Living in Newark is awesome!

Leave a comment