September 6, 2012: Casen Begins Chemo

Today is my work from home day this week.  I slept in until the very last, possible second and only got up then because Liesl insisted that I did.  So at just after eight thirty I got up and set Liesl up in the playroom – our morning routine of turning on a movie, giving her the iPad to play her games and getting her a “chocolate milk”, actually a nutrient rich pediasure protein drink.

I logged into work, caught up and laid back down for a bit with the BlackBerry by my head until around nine thirty when Luciana insisted that everyone be awake.  She is less tolerant of other people sleeping while she is up than Liesl is.  Liesl is very happy to have the house to herself for a while which she does, nearly every day.

I was very tired and spent most of the morning in a haze, very unproductively, sitting at my desk staring at the screen.

After lunch, which wasn’t food but just a long, hot shower, I felt a bit better and was able to do some Ruby on Rails troubleshooting today and managed to get my project working 99%.  I’m still having an issue with a dropdown box appearing incorrectly but that is pretty minor.  All of the real functionality is working.

I was pretty busy this afternoon and didn’t get any “free” time to do any catchup.  I’ve been so busy lately that I feel like I am just falling farther and farther behind, SGL being just one of the places that things are suffering.

Casen started his chemotherapy today.  He will be doing that for the next twelve weeks.  This is going to be really tough.

My contact dermatitis is much worse today.  It really looks like poison ivy now.  Both hands are covered in it.

This evening we watched a little television together as a family while we had dinner.  Liesl and Luciana moved into our bedroom to watch shows together so I went back to my office to get some work done.

Luciana is at a point now where she can pretty much tell us that she wants to go to bed and when she is ready she will actually grab her bottle (she drinks whole milk warmed in the microwave now) and actually runs to her bedroom.  It is so adorable.  She really wants to go to bed when she is tired and demands that you put her there.  She likes her sleep, that one.  I wonder how long that will last.  So she was in bed before nine of her own accord.

Liesl went to bed around ten.  We are about halfway through The House on Pooh Corner which is really hard to follow.  As the reader I am struggling to figure out what is going on; Liesl must really have a hard time.  But she says that she enjoys the stories.  I never realized how oddly written those books are.  The dialogue is just bizarre.  Disney did a lot of modification to make them work for a wide audience.

We were both tired and were in bed ourselves around eleven, very early for us.  I have to be up early tomorrow for the non-farm payroll announcement at the office.  Then I am coming home mid-morning so that Dominica can drive out to Arlington to help out with Casen at the hospital.

Leave a comment